Wednesday, July 17, 2013

noreply-comment@blogger.com

Is this your address on blogger? Probably. It is mine. After checking several of my blogging friends, I found it is theirs too. Even 2 of my very knowledgeable blogging friends, Rick and Erin.

This all started last week when my friends, Nancy and Bill, responded to a comment I left on their blog. I don’t mean that they responded in the comments section. They replied to the email that most of us get notifying us of a new comment. Unbeknownst to them (and me) it went into that “black hole” at Google never to be seen again. Neither of us would have known had we not communicated a few days later and the subject came up. 

Long story short, my email address used to be public when anyone clicked “reply” in the email making it easy to respond to any comment I left. Sometimes it’s more of a personal issue and you don’t want the whole world reading it. That was back in the Blogger profile days. A few months ago, after being prodded by Google, I decided to move my blog to my Google+ profile thereby  “simplifying” all things Google. Or so I thought.

Here is where Google gets way too frustrating. You can go to my Google+ profile and send me an email BUT they have, in their infinite wisdom, chosen to keep all email addresses private when commenting. Therefore, if you wish to reply to something I said, you need to go to my profile page and send me an email rather than just hitting “reply”. There is no way to change this on Google+.  You have to revert back to the Blogger profile, re-enter all your information and allow your email to be linked. Had I known all this prior to converting to my Google+ profile, I never would have done it.

Am I being too picky? Perhaps. Those of you that are still on the Blogger profile and have enabled it, can get replies easily to any comments you leave. Those of us on Google+ will forever be known as noreply-comment@blogger.com

As for me, I’m researching other blogging platforms. I think Google, in their quest to simplify, has inadvertently made it more difficult for some. Will I go? Who knows. I may just revert back to the Blogger profile until Google forces all of us to move to the G+ profile. That day will come.

Thanks for stopping by…and letting me rant.Turtle

13 comments:

  1. I have not moved my blog to google+, and here is what I've found about replying to someones comment that I receive in those notification emails. Sometimes google bunches a number of them together and sometimes not. I cannot reply to any that are in a bunch, but if it's a single comment I can reply. Go figure! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know all that. I didn't know Google+ was that different. I get the email from blogger when a comment was posted, love it.

    They took away my latitude to have the kids follow us while traveling, but I got even. I'm on life360 and it's even better than latitude. I'm on google+ but seldom ever check it, it's too cumbersome.

    All good things come to an end, never fails.

    Thanks for the "comment". lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail - first, great rant! I can feel your frustration over this issue all the way over here on Vancouver Island.

    The noreply-comment@blogger.com issue has been around long before Google+ was even introduced. I wrote about it in a post back August 26, 2010 and explained how to fix this problem (if you wanted to) in Blogger's Settings.

    I am on G+ but have my email settings set to "no-reply" but you can still email me in much the same way as we did on the old blogger platform.

    When you get this email in your Gmail - click on my name as you normally would have and it will take you to my G+ Profile page.

    Look right next to my 'smiling face' and name and you will see a small email envelope. Just click on it and in a second an email window should pop-up allowing you to email me. This also works right from within your Blogger comments.

    To me, this is pretty much the same as what we had before only it's now on our G+ Profile page instead of on our Blogger Profile page.

    Try it out on this message by clicking on it in Gmail and responding direct to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, Google owns us unfortunately. I try not to use plus. I don't even use Live Writer,I'm still old school. Most anyone that knows me knows my email anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need an "easy button"! Maybe Google should use our KISS philosophy....Keep it simple stupid!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If ain't broke...don't fix it;o(( Why can't they just leave things alone?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all Greek to me! I'm still amazed that I can actually do a blog.
    Syl

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea! I'll have to go check it out ... but in the meantime I'm glad Rick wrote about the workaround.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gail, I'm still using my G+ Profile, of course, but I've made a change that I believe should allow you to use the 'Reply' feature in Gmail just as you requested even though I'm a G+ Profile user.

    I'd appreciate it if you could try this out and confirm? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What??? I'm just happy you posted. How are you and Rick doing? How's Maine?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got back on line after two weeks at Blackwoods in Acadia so I'm catching up. I read Rick's reply to this but I still am just not going to use Google+. I want to things to be simple and I don't want to be forced into their facebook circles competition. So neither you nor I nor anyone will have trouble responding to my posts or finding my email. Makes me mad actually that Google is such a bully. They are as bad as microsoft.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Google+ makes my head spin even more than normal...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gail, I have not yet switched to Google + - despite or in spite of requests to do so. Thank you for this information, which I am just now seeing and now we know.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.