Sunday, July 29, 2012

Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes and 10,000,000,000 Mosquitoes :)

I don’t have much to blog about this week. Welcome to Minnesota!We’ve spent the last week in Minnesota enjoying the beautiful scenery and even experiencing some comfortable temperatures :) Yes, it’s true. We haven’t had any 100 º days here. Amazing to us :) There have been some 90’s but after the heat of Nebraska and the Dakota’s, 90 wasn’t bad. Most of our time here, though, has been in the 80’s and we’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately, for us, it rained a good deal this week also so we spent much of our time catching up on things inside.

We stayed at Gull Lake Recreation Area, a beautiful COE park near Brainerd MN. This was an absolutely gorgeous park and I wish we had been able to stay longer. Unfortunately, this park stays reserved almost constantly during the season and the walk-in sites stay full.

201207 Minnesota

The campground is adjacent to Gull Lake and has a large Day Use area with a swimming beach and picnic area. We had hoped to launch the Sea Eagle while we were here, but things just didn’t work out this time. I hope we’ll be able to come back another time and stay a little longer.

201207 Minnesota1

There were hiking trails throughout the area, some through the woods and others on paved paths. After our first wooded hike, we stuck to the paved areas. Less mosquitoes!

2012-07-24 12.42.57

It seems that there are lakes every which way you turn in Minnesota and along with them come the mosquitoes.  We saw several signs where areas had been sprayed for mosquito control. It doesn’t take away from the beauty but it makes it harder to enjoy it :)

I took a side trip on Wednesday to travel to St. Paul to attend the Memorial Service for my Aunt Donna Smith who passed away last Sunday evening at the age of 89. I was able to visit with my cousins whom I hadn’t seen in many years and although we all wished we were there for a different reason, we totally enjoyed our time together.

We are now on our way to the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior off the northern border of Wisconsin. I’ve heard it is beautiful up there. I have no doubt that it is. As many of you know, I was born and raised in Wisconsin but there are many places in the state I have never been. This is one of them and I’m looking forward to it.

Thanks for stopping by. Turtle

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful photographs. I really like the collage setting for them. Thanks for posting, we continue to enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Apostle Islands are fabulous! You will love them. Any chance you will get to the Boundary Waters area?? What a great place for kayaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, a day in Minnesota without mosquitoes is like a day without orange juice. :) One of the itchiest states in the Union...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to beautiful areas. There's a lot more up that way we'd like to check out. Have fun be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it funny that an area where you spent so much time you saw so little? I feel that way sometimes, and think I'll have to go back to the Island one day to see everything I was too busy working to see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you finally got some relief from the heat. That area looks beautiful even if it is a little buggy. Enjoy the Apostle Islands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mosquitoes are the thing that bother me the most. They seem to love me! I know what you mean about your own area. I lived in CA most of my life and there were areas I never got to, as well as PA now. Starting 10/1 we will start seeing all those places!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are enjoying cooler temps. We've never been in this part of the country. Sounds beautiful!

    Bruce and Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to hear about the Apostle Islands. I've always wanted to go there. Beautiful photos of Minnesota, that's another place we want to go. We've been really really lucky this summer with not running into mosquitoes till now, (we're in Maine). But they are still not bad, compared to where you are. July in Tahquamanon (sp.?) Falls in the U.P. in Michigan is another place where the mosquitoes were so bad, the park ranger attendants were wearing full headgear when they checked you in. We ended up being stuck inside the rig for one night, then left, the mosquitoes were so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up in Manitoba and I sure don't miss those Mosquitoes. Last time we were in Minnesota, in 2007, we nearly got bitten alive.

    Enjoy your trip to Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny how 90 is comfortable after a slew of 100 degree days. We're enjoying a "cool front" of 90's right now too. LOL

    Have a safe trip to the Apostle Islands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it amazing how "hot" becomes relative after some 100F days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. isn't it funny how we live in a place so long and then return to see areas that were in our own back yard...gorgeous pictures..thanks for the tour

    ReplyDelete
  14. So often the place you were raised it the place you didn't get to see much of. Glad you are visiting now and sharing it with us. I wan't to know what it is about mosquitos that they always make a beeline for your ears!! We spray everywhere, but they still try to get in our ears...very annoying;o(((

    Hope the cooler temps stay with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeegads on the mosquitos. The entire time we were in PA (7 weeks), I didn't get one bite. We head to NY and they attacked me! Can't wait to see you guys at the CC gathering!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.