Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mount Rushmore, Keystone SD

The one national memorial that I have wanted to visit since I was a child is Mount Rushmore. I got to do just that this week. We drove into Keystone and then out to the monument. It’s a pretty impressive sight as you’re approaching on the highway.

P1020168

The entire park is impressive. The park is free to visit but you do have to buy an annual parking pass for $11. Ours expires next May.

Once parked, we took the stairs to the Information Center/Gift Shop area where we were met with hundreds of other people here to see the same thing. And we avoided the weekend because we thought IT would be busy! :)

P1020172

As we continued on, the bust of Gutzon Borglum was on display. Borglum was the sculptor who designed and sculpted Mt. Rushmore. He was 58 years old when he first started the design in 1925. The sculpting began in 1927 and Borglum died in 1941 shortly before the work was finished. His son, Lincoln, completed the monument for his father.

Borglum chose these specific presidents because they commemorate the founding, growth, preservation and development of the United States. They symbolize the principles of liberty and freedom on which this nation was founded.

George Washington signifies the struggle for independence and the birth of the Republic; Thomas Jefferson represents the territorial expansion of the country; Abraham Lincoln stand for the permanent union of the States and equality for all citizens and Theodore Roosevelt exemplifies the 20th century role of the United States in world affairs and the industrial growth of the nation.  Source: National Park Service

P1020174

Next, we came to the Avenue of Flags. The 56 flags on display here represent the states, districts, commonwealths and territories of the United States.

P1020175

The pillars were engraved with each state name and when they were admitted into the Union.

P1020176

Once we reached the Grand View Terrace viewing area, we could look down to see the amphitheater at the base of the mountain

P1020181

or up, to get our first close-up look of the monument.

P1020177

Each face is 60 feet tall. Each eye is 11 feet wide.

P1020179

Washington’s nose is 21 feet long. All other noses are 20 feet long. Washington’s mouth is 18 feet wide.

P1020178

We took in a short film on the making of Mt. Rushmore in the museum area. It took over 400 men and women 14 years to complete this work. Most of the workers were local miners, lumbermen and ranchers. The hours were long and the pay was low. The total cost of the project was $989,992.32. Can you imagine what that would be in today’s dollars?! The main sculpting tool was dynamite and the drill was a jackhammer. Hard work indeed!

We walked part of the Presidential Trail.

P1020191

There, while walking down into a cave, I got this shot of Washington through a narrow crevice in the ceiling. I thought that was kind of cool :)  It would have been cooler if it hadn’t been so bright out there. George looks a bit washed out  but I still liked the shot :)

P1020188

All in all, I am so glad I finally got to see Mount Rushmore. It gave me quite of sense of patriotism standing there looking at this masterpiece. I would highly recommend a visit if you’re in the area.

We cut through Custer State Park again on the way home and stopped to say “hi” to this guy :)

P1020196

Thanks for stopping by. Turtle

15 comments:

  1. Great pictures! I bet the unusual one of Washington could win a contest!

    At night, when the monument is lit up, from the parking lot it looks like a sleeping giant. I wonder if anyone else ever noticed.

    Crazy Horse, in my opinion, was even more impressive.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking rocks. Looks like quite a few other folks joined you today. I would love to go to all these special places with only a few dozen people instead of a few hundred. They were made to be shared though.
    Syl

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an impressive sight. It's a shame you had to share the day with a few hundred of your closest friends, but I guess it's hard to avoid crowds this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend, Russ Krecklow, sent me a link to your blog. We are headed to Mount Rushmore and, in fact, will be arriving there tomorrow (Piedmont for 4 days, then Custer for 7 days). I was dismayed to see how crowded Mount Rushmore was, but I really liked reading your blog and seeing your pictures. It made me even more excited to get there. Now if the heat would abate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I think you'll still enjoy Mt.Rushmore. It was very impressive.
      Thank you for stopping by and thanks to Russ for sending you. We are still here for a week so if there is anything we can do to help, just let us know.

      Delete
  5. Glad you got to Mt. Rushmore. It is very interesting and impressive. They say there is a night time light show, but we have never seen that. We will be glad when the summer season ends so the heat breaks and the crowds thin;o))

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a joy to be able to visit a place such as this. Mt Rushmore is on my bucket list for sure. The photos remind me of the leadership that shaped America. The last photo represents today's leadership. Very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure there is a time without crowds at that great monument.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pics of Mt. Rushmore. It's certainly one of the most spectacular monuments we've ever visited.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have visited Mt. Rushmore several times and am awed by the work that was done and how it tastefully fits on the mountain. Now I have to go back again, you've given me the bug!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mt Rushmore is also high on my "must see" list! Love the Avenue of the Flags!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes; a park that I've always wanted to visit, too. Hopefully in the not so distant future that wish will be fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mount Rushmore is on my "to see" list, too. Thanks for the great pictures and sharing your trip with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good post- It has been years since I visited. Now I have different feelings about carving up the mountains but it is well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would like to see Mt. Rushmore too. Thanks for the pictures and tour. Motivates me to keep trying to get there.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.