Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Surprise Visitor and a Day Trip to Taos

“I think anyone that writes a blog should know that she has readers out there”. That’s what Dione P said to me after she came knocking at our door last evening. We probably hadn’t been home more than 10 minutes when she knocked. Rick answered and I could hear conversation but couldn’t make out what was being said. I thought it was our next door neighbors :) Soon Rick called me to the door and there was Dione explaining that she was a “lurker” on my blog and had been without internet for 3 weeks until this morning when her phone had really good signal so she went to catch up on some blog reading. That’s when she saw Gypsy Turtles and Abiquiu Lake…which is exactly where she was! So she came to say “hi”. Turns out, she’s 2 sites down from us but they left today. We are headed out tomorrow and in the same general direction. Who knows, our paths may cross again and if they do, I hope you’ll knock on our door again, Dione. You really made my day! Thank you!

I know of several friends and family members that read my blog and never comment or follow, which is fine, but I am always amazed when a perfect stranger comes up to me and says they read it. It makes me feel 10 feet tall and I am humbled by all of you that take the time to read my thoughts. Thank you so much!

Now, back to my regularly scheduled post :)

Yesterday morning was our 2nd to last day in New Mexico. We thought we should make one last day trip. Our choices were Los Alamos or Taos. Hmmm.  Los Alamos-nuclear stuff. Taos-skiing, touristy, cute shops, good restaurants. Let me toss a coin. Surprise! Taos it is ;)

The drive was about 65 miles. Once we got to Taos, we stopped at the Visitor’s Center but they were so busy we just grabbed a Taos Tourist Magazine and left. After consulting the magazine and finding good maps in it, we headed downtown into the historic area where there are lots of shops, galleries, and restaurants.

Finding parking was an issue. For off season skiing, there sure were a lot of tourists milling around :) We turned off the main drag and found a metered parking lot. Ok, the sign had said “Free Parking” but there were meters all over. What’s up with that? More importantly, where is an open space? We took the only available space…and it had a broken meter! Guess that means it IS free :) The person or persons before us had wrapped an orange ribbon around the meter with a note that in effect said “Meter took my money and didn’t give me any minutes!” It wouldn’t have made much sense to feed more quarters in the thing so we left the orange tape and went exploring. It soon became obvious that many meters were broken. There were handwritten signs all over the place explaining that money had been put in and no minutes given. Maybe it’s cheaper to just ignore the problem than to fix the meters?

P1010944

I wasn’t going to let a silly meter ruin the day. So off we went. This area of Taos reminded me of the downtown area of Santa Fe. Lots of cute shops, pottery, jewelry. We wandered in and out of shops for awhile until it became obvious to Rick that the cheesy granola bar I gave him on our way out the door just wasn’t cutting it anymore :)

P1010941

It just so happened we found ourselves right by The Gorge Bar and Grill :)  We got a table outside and had a nice cold beer while we waited for our food, which was excellent. They make a mean green chili cheeseburger and an awesome pastrami Reuben.  We split our sandwiches and shared :)

FB_IMG_13377179570373762

We took a different route home. The wind had picked up and we got to see our second sighting of a New Mexico “dust devil”. These are like miniature tornadoes that just pop up and spin. This picture isn’t very impressive. We were too far away and I didn’t zoom in at a very impressive moment. The first one we saw, a few days ago, was much better formed  and quite impressive. Naturally, I didn’t have my camera handy :(

P1010946

We made it home safe and sound :) Oh, and no parking ticket at the broken meter :)  Today we got things ready to move on in the morning. It was too windy to do anything else. It’s gusting at 50 mph out there! Hope it stops before tomorrow :)  Next stop: La Veta, Colorado.

Thanks for stopping by. Turtle

15 comments:

  1. Surprise visitors are nice! Never seen a dust devil and can't say that I care to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is amazing how many people read your blogs and want to meet you. Nice that you had a "drive by" lurker say hello. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar experience with a blog reader this afternoon. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dione here--enjoyed meeting the turtles. When we get up to Fort Collins thIs weekend I'll post here about my blog reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel safely Dione! Hope these winds didn't slow you down. It's been gusting all day at Abiquiu!

      Delete
  5. Safe travels..don't you just love when you get a knock on the door like that...we had that happen in Memphis TN a couple of years ago it was Odel from Semi True Tales of our Life on the road...I think he saw on our blog that we were there and here we were in the same park...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonder if the "free parking" sign was made AFTER all the meters broke? Kinda strange.

    Very cool that you got to meet a blog lurker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice that you got to meet Dione:o))

    Can't wait to see your Colorado adventures. We never made it to that State, so we need a tour;o))

    Safe Travels and Happy Trails....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today's post really made me smile. Thank you again for answering your door when I knocked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We got a wonderful dirt storm down hear in Southern NM. When we were kids we would chase the dirt devil and try to get inside- I don't really remember what the point of that was but it was important to us :) Safe travels...

    ReplyDelete
  10. "We split our sandwiches and shared :)" --- I like your idea of sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun to have a commenter knock on your door. I know all too well how important comments can become.

    Love your difficult decision of where to spend your day. "Taos it is". I had a friend who lived there for a few years and loved it. She came back east for a man. Not sure whether that was a good choice or not since she seemed a lot happier to me in Taos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I call it a "small world moment" when a lurker knocks on the door. It's happened to us a couple of times and I think it's great. Looking forward to your Colorado travels.
    Syl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dione here, again. We finally have internet so I want to make a quick comment about blogs and readers (lurkers). Briefly, my husband and I did the full-time thing for almost 5 years and now have a condo near Indy where the grandkids are and travel about half-time. Usually we tether his cell phone for internet, but this is a short trip for us to New Mexico and Colorado so I have really been missing my daily dose of "what is happening" in the lives of the bloggers I read. So, as to bloggers--I really think this is a sort of "6 Degrees of Separation" kind of thing as one blog leads to another. A few years ago I answered a question from Gypsy about coffee pots on the HitchHiker Forum and clicked a link there to find her blog. I didn't even know that blogs like her's even existed. From her blog (On the Road Again) I found many other blogs and read some of them occasionally and some of them often. I enjoy reading about places others are seeing and spending time in. I admire those who have the discipline to do regular updates, and I do find it somewhat seductive because we readers begin to feel that we really know these people we read about often. We readers share in the ups and downs of bloggers lives and events even if we don't comment often so the temptation is there for us to knock on their door and introduce ourselves if the occasion presents itself as I did with Gail (I know her, so she should know me, right???). I appreciate Gail's graciousness and am glad to see that others have also encountered lurkers out there. Thanks for allowing me to express my thoughts about this phenomenom of blogging and I am sure there are lots of lurkers out there for all of your blogs. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dione, thanks so much for the wonderful comment. The street goes 2 ways...I now feel like I know you too :) I also follow several blogs. Some are people I know, some I don't. I, too, feel like I know them all. I'm very glad you knocked on our door and I hope others reading this will feel that they too can knock. It was truly a pleasure meeting you.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.