Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Nice Week in Santa Fe, Hand Mailbox, Bobcat Bite

We've been having fun this week in Santa Fe. The other day, I was going through some old bookmarks on my computer and ran across RoadsideAmerica.com. I had completely forgotten about this site, so I pulled it up, entered Santa Fe, NM and hit enter. One of the things that showed up was this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Santa Fe, New Mexico - Hand Mail Box and Rock Lizard

A large hand (approximately 5 feet tall) with long fingernails holds a mail box. The Rock Lizard sculpture sits in an open field right next to the hand mailbox. It is about 8 feet tall at its highest point. Behind the sculpture, on the ground is a flat stone with the name of the artist: "Paul Carroll, 1990." And there's another lizard, slightly smaller.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It turned out it was only 6  miles away so i talked Rick into taking a ride to see what it was all about :)  I thought this was so cool.  If I ever have another mailbox, I want one like this :)

P1010660P1010661P1010659

In the field behind the hand was the lizards.

P1010663

P1010664

Once I got my fill of the hand, I found the coolest bus stop yet, only 1 block away. When was the last time you saw a bus stop this cool? All perfectly crafted and designed. Awesome!

P1010665P1010666P1010667P1010668

If you’ve never checked out RoadsideAmerica.com, you should. They list strange and interesting things to see all over the country.

Another afternoon, we took a drive out to Bobcat Bite. P1010669

This is a teeny little restaurant outside of town that makes the best green chili cheeseburgers. Friends Jo Beth and Catherine of RV Crazy Travel Journal recommended this place and it sure did not disappoint :) I think this may have been the best burger ever! :)

bobcat bite

If you go, go hungry. This is 10 ounces of freshly ground chuck. It will definitely fill you up!

Today, we drove the Turquoise Trail. More on that in the next post.

I leave you with last night’s sunset. I tried to photograph the “Super Moon” last night, but none of my photos turned out.  I suspect you need to do more than just use the idiot setting for point and shoot :)

P1010671-3

Thanks for stopping by. Turtle

10 comments:

  1. I tried moon shots as well, and even looked up the manual settings, but we had so much cloud cover they just didn't turn out good enough to keep. Oh well. Love the hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds, the mailbox and the bus stop are very unusual. I will have to check out that website. I drove the Turquoise Trail in 1999, lots of neat things to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me of the Roadside America website; I had it in my bookmarks but I pinned it to my board so that I can be reminded to use it when we get on the road. But why wait; let me go see what there might be in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bookmarked Roadside America. Thanks for the tip. The mailbox looks very cool! Burger looks yummy! No super moon shots for us - it was raining like cats and dogs here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the website. Glad you liked the burgers. I am ready to go back to Santa Fe just to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the website. I didn't know about it. The hand is GREAT! Love the bus stop too. This must be a great little town to have all this artsy stuff. Or is 6 miles away still in Santa Fe which I know is a cool town.

    Before I put the burgers down on my list of things to do I need to know just How Hot Were They? I'm not from the Southwest Don't cha know! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, yes, it was still in Santa Fe :)

      Green chili's are not hot at all, but they sure do give a wonderful flavor to lots of things!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the website -- we love checking out quirky stuff. Love the mailbox and bus stop.

    Glad Bobcat Bite is the name of a restaurant. I was a little concerned when I saw the title of your entry. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool website. Those burgers sound delishious. I was a little concerned about the bobcat bite in your title too.
    Syl

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.