Friday, December 23, 2011

I ♥ Port Aransas

Yesterday, we drove to the ferry that would take us over to Port Aransas. It’s a very short ferry ride and it’s free.

P1010081

After exiting the ferry, we took a right hand turn and followed it all the way to this!

P1010062

When in Rome, err, I mean Texas, do as they do…drive the beach!

P1010063

This was one of my favorite things to do when we lived in TX way back when.

P1010064

I had no idea it was still allowed…

P1010065

But it is here :)

P1010071

Not only can you drive the beach, you can camp on it!

P1010072

You do need a permit…

P1010073

I have no idea what the fee is, but this fellow plans to stay awhile, I’d say. Check out all that solar!

P1010074

We also walked the seawall in the park; notice no railings.

P1010076

There were dolphins all over the place in that water. Do you think I could capture just ONE? Nope. Not fast enough :(

P1010079

The marina was pretty cool though.

P1010077

After all that, we had worked up an appetite, so we headed to Hooks Bar BQ and Grill for some good ole Texas BBQ. It was excellent. Rick had the brisket platter and I had the combo: brisket and ribs. Well, as luck would have it, I didn’t remember the camera until our plates had been licked clean :) Maybe next time :) We will definitely be back.

Our buddy here, wished us farewell as we lined up to take the ferry back home.

P1010082

It was a wonderful day! Thanks for stopping by. Turtle

12 comments:

  1. isn't driving on the beach neat? You sure had a very nice day to enjoy Port A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the pictures of the beach. I could smell the salt air. I remember driving on Daytona Beach when I was a kid--a thrill, but crowded. Boondocking on a deserted beach is halfway to heaven to me.

    Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you ever get to Washington State, you can drive on the beach in Long Beach, WA. too.
    Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year.
    ~Betty and Joe
    joeandbetty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gail and Rick,
    I had no idea there was a place like this along the coast of Texas. I can tell you two had a really pleasing day. Excellent! Merry Christmas to you and a very Happy New Year! Levonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great place. I'd sure love to have that solar set up and be parked right there. Although I am clearly in the minority here in wishing no one was ever allowed to drive on any beach anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ronnie and I are enjoying your pictures and blog. The pictures today brought back many memories of our camping trip the summer before Katrina hit. We traveled the Texas coast from Biloxi down to Corpus Christi. We spent time at that city park in Port Aranas too. It was so nice...but I remember very hot since it was summer then. We wish you both a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. And thank you again for sharing with us your fulltime RV experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas Gail and Rick and all the very best in 2012

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a gorgeous place! Merry Christmas to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was that a mother-in-law tent next to that fiver with the solar panels?

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We drove on Daytona Beach many many moons ago and thought that was just the coolest thing!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.