Monday, August 22, 2011

The Kentucky Bourbon Trail

The Kentucky Bourbon Trail is something recommended to tourists in this area. It consists of 6 distilleries. They all offer a tour and are open to the public. If you complete the entire tour of 6, you can send in your signed passport and they’ll even send you a T-shirt commemorating the event.

That may have been an interesting thing to do. Well, one or two of them anyhow, but neither of us has any interest in bourbon, so we decided to pass. This is a beautiful, hilly area with many gorgeous horse farms so we took a ride in the country over the weekend.

IMGP3064

The countryside was beautiful and every farm was bordered by these fences.

IMGP3062

They were all the same so it was impossible to know where one farm left off and another began.

IMGP3063

Surprisingly, we saw very few horses and none that I could get a good picture.

IMGP3065

While we were out, we happened upon Equus Run Vineyards right in the middle of horse country. That’s more our speed! The winery has an interesting history and is detailed on their website if you have an interest.

IMGP3070

The tasting room/gift shop is a renovated farm tool shop.

IMGP3072

While sitting on the deck enjoying the garden, you are kept company by the resident horse, Veggetariat Smile

IMGP3074

We enjoyed a bottle of Chardonnay in the gardens and purchased another to take home Winking smile

IMGP3075

Other than a grocery store stop and another Red Box pickup, that was about it for our weekend. Just a nice, relaxing time.

Today we are getting ready for our move tomorrow. We’ll pull out of here in the morning and head for West Virginia. Until then, thanks for stopping by.

9 comments:

  1. That is really my type of country. I also love West Virginia.(I must be part hillbilly)

    ReplyDelete
  2. but neither of us has any interest in bourbon

    I was with you up 'till there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's some beautiful countryside but I'm glad that I don't have to mow all that grass!
    Syl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I do have interest in Bourbon, we only did one tour while we were in Frankfort, KY.

    But luckily, I like wine as well:)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The horse farms in Kentucky really are pretty, but I agree with Gin and Syl -- that's a LOT of grass to cut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love horse farms they are so beautiful. Always fun to find a good winery

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did you get Veggetariat to stand still long enough to get that picture? ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  8. horse farms amaze me I love them...sure wouldn't want to be the one mowing all that grass...
    stay safe

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.