Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Carolina Blue Skies

Yesterday morning, we said our good-byes to Beech Fork State Park and headed back to I-64 on the road that had me shaking in my shoes a week earlier. I had a full week to work up the courage. It wasn’t nearly as bad coming out. It wasn’t so bad, because we drove that road a couple times during the week in the Jeep. That helped. It also wasn’t so bad because we did not hook up the Jeep to Lucy until after we were off that road Smile That was my saving grace. I drove the Jeep. Rick drove Lucy. We were both happy. Smile

Once back on I-64, we headed east and then south. We spent the next 4 hours driving through the mountains of West Virginia and Virginia. The weather was beautiful and the drive was gorgeous.

IMGP3078IMGP3080IMGP3085IMGP3087IMGP3089IMGP3090

As we continued southbound, we arrived at the East River Mountain Tunnel, our entrance into Virginia.

IMGP3091

The East River Mountain Tunnel is just over 1 mile long. It felt longer than that.

IMGP3092


I tried several shots as we got to the end, but none of them turned out well. This is my best attempt to show you that there IS light at the end of the tunnel!  Rolling on the floor laughingRolling on the floor laughing

IMGP3095


It’s difficult to get good photos when you’re going down the highway at 65 mph and you are trying to capture something through the bug-spotted windshield. This was a shot that, although blurry, I really liked. It was somewhere around the Virginia/North Carolina border.

IMGP3098


Shortly after that shot, I looked up and there it was. A Carolina Blue Sky!

IMGP3100


A short time later, we pulled into our next campground in Mount Airy, NC.

IMGP3104

IMGP3105


Mount Airy is known for all things Mayberry. It’s the home town of Andy Griffith. For the next week, we’ll be residing on Andy Taylor St. Winking smile

IMGP3102

We’ll be visiting Mayberry and Pilot Mountain while we’re here. It should be fun and I should be able to get some cute photos to share. Until then, thanks for stopping by. Turtle

8 comments:

  1. Make sure you behave or Barney Fife might show up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! Makes me want to whistle. Say hello to Goober, and Aunt Bea for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the idea!! Looks like our kind of place. We'll be going that way coming back to NC. I can't wait to hear about what's around, we've gone thru there a few times without stopping.

    Say hi to the Mayberry gang. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see this part of the country through your eyes. It is on our list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know of a few folks that have stayed there and it is a nice cg. Enjoy the area. I picture ice cream in your future.
    Syl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great time, we really had a good time in "Mayberry" !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mt. Airy is definitely on our list. But don't buy any of Aunt Bee's pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo Hoo, back in NC!! Have fun and we will see you in about a week:o)))))

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.