Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ausable Chasm

When I met my husband many years ago, he was anxious to show me his hometown, Keeseville, NY, an area he was fond of calling “God’s Country”. In many ways, that’s a very accurate description of this area. The scenery is magnificent! A good example of that is Ausable Chasm.

IMGP2790

Ausable Chasm was formed nearly 500 million years ago. Mind blowing, isn’t it?

IMGP2791

 

IMGP2792

It was during the Cambrian age when the rushing water of the Ausable River began cutting its way into the “Potsdam” sandstone stata.

IMGP2793

The Chasm is about 2 miles long and is called, by some, the Grand Canyon of the East.

IMGP2794

We did not explore the entire Chasm; these photos were taken from the bridge that runs right over it, just a mile or two out of town.

IMGP2796

The Chasm, river, waterfalls and rock formations are the oldest natural attraction in the United States. Since 1870, over 10 million people have come to explore Ausable Chasm.

IMGP2797

If you’re ever in this area, it’s a definite “must-see”. Pictures just can’t capture the beauty you see when you visit this place. We make a return visit each time we’re in the area. It’s just that beautiful Smile

IMGP2798

That’s it for today…thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

  1. Roxi, it is in the Adirondacks and I'm told about 25 miles or so from Jay. This is outside Keeseville which is south of Plattsburgh.

    John and Ellen, it's a beautiful part of the country, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you make a visit whenever you have the opportunity. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems so strange to see pictures of areas that are so familiar to me. :) AuSable Chasm is definitely beautiful and I have only been through it once, just a couple years ago, after 20 years of living only 12 miles from it when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw your comment on my blog. :) Your husband is just a tad older than I am, ;) I graduated from AVCS in '84. He may have been there about the same time as my aunt - Helen Frenia, she is about 15 years older than me, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic place ... one more place to add to the "someday" list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am for sure adding this to my list of must go tos. LOVE waterfalls. The green and all the water make me wish I was up there with you. Don't tell me you have cool temperatures too??

    I think the desert is not my place. I'm an east coast deciduous forest and ocean girl. Loved your beautiful pictures. They made me feel at least a little less DRY. :-)

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Beautiful Pictures and Great Memories for us!!

    We took our first long RV trip with our children when they were 6 and 7 years old to Lake George, NY.

    Ausable Chasm was one of the places we visited while we were there. It was such a fun time!!

    Thanks for the memories:o))

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.