Monday, May 2, 2011

You Can’t Go Home Again

Today is our last day in North Carolina for awhile. It’s true what they say, you really can’t go home again. Honest, you can’t. I know because we tried. A few days ago, as we were driving down I-85, we got off at the old exit, turned right, then left, then right and left again and there we were! Home. Well, right in front of it anyway. It was an eerie feeling, not because so much had changed in the past year, but because NOTHING had changed. Not.one.single.thing. It was as though we had never left. The American flag still flew from the holder on the front porch. We could have turned into that driveway and felt just like we had felt all the other times we did that for all those years. Yes, we could have turned in and promptly decided the lawn needed mowing and the garden needed weeding and the porch needed sweeping…then we came to our senses. We didn’t have to worry about those things anymore! That was someone else’s problem :) With that, we high tailed it back to the safety of Lucy, our home on wheels :)

We have spent the last few days in the Bullocksville Campground at the Kerr Lake Recreation Area in Manson, NC. Other than the minor difficulties of getting parked that I mentioned in the last post, we have enjoyed our time here. We’ve pretty much had the entire campground to ourselves. There has never been more than 3 of us here at any given time. I walked around a couple days ago and took pictures of the road in and out and all the open sites.

IMGP2397 IMGP2400 IMGP2403 IMGP2396

I don’t know if it gets busier later in the season or if this is the norm. If it’s the norm, all I can say is “what a wasted resource”! It’s a very pretty park and we’ll return when we are through this way again. Next time we’ll be smarter. We know which sites will accommodate us easier :)

As I leave you with this sunset, I’m reminded of how lucky I am to be able to enjoy these sunsets and these beautiful places and how much I appreciate the freedom we have.

IMGP2405

Until next time, stay safe.

flag-1

6 comments:

  1. Love it, Gail and Rick! I know I will feel the same, when we come back to Chattanooga. I have never looked back on my life changes and wished I had stayed put. It just gets better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we leave NC for Spartanburg SC to watch the daughter play her last softball games in college and then we head north and the spot you are in looks perfect for us... we have a 37 footer what sites are the best for a larger sort of rig?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing that such a nice looking place is so under used.

    You are so right about the "to do" list that never ends with stix & brix. Must have felt great to drive away and say "not our problem".

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The more I think about the term "Life's Journey"...the more I realize that moving on is what keeps you alive.

    Just keep enjoying the journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had that experience when we went back to Tampa. We could not drive by the house. We still miss that place- lots of happy memories. The folks who live there now are enjoying it and love it which makes us very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did that today with both our places, the condo and the apt. It's just not the same and we're glad we DON'T miss it. Be free and have fun in the travels. We'll move on May 16 to Richmond, VA area.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.