Monday, January 17, 2011

Movin’ On

There was rain forecast for this afternoon, MLK day, so we decided it was time to move on. We thought if we left in the morning, we could make it part way to Birmingham,  Alabama before running into the rain. Although the precipitation was coming from that direction, we felt it in our best interest to leave this park in Macon because it’s an open field and we were afraid of getting stuck if there was too much rain. Our next planned location was paved so we felt safer considering the forecast was calling for 2 days of the wet stuff.

After our morning coffee and a light breakfast, we readied the coach for traveling, me inside, Rick outside.  We pulled out at 10:15 AM. The only part of this trip we were a little nervous about was going around Atlanta but we timed it for morning and with it being a holiday, we figured we’d be fine. Well, that was the plan. And we were fine, but our navigator (which I have to fess up is my job) had a senior moment and we missed our exit to take the Loop around Atlanta because we were in the wrong lane. Instead, we ended up downtown Atlanta to get onto I-20 West.  Well, it’s certainly a good thing it was a holiday because I have no idea how many more cars we could have fit on that road during a regular weekday! We took one very short bathroom break at the rest area just over the Alabama state line and a diesel fuel stop about 20 miles out from our destination. We pulled into Hoover RV Park around 2:15 PM making the trip 5 rainless hours :)  We gained an hour moving into the Central Time Zone at the state line. 

We parked, leveled and put out the slides. Oops! The bedroom passenger slide made noise, but didn’t move. Oh boy. Well, let’s put out the other 3 and we’ll check on this one. If it’s not something simple, we’ll leave it in and have it checked at Red Bay. While I was writing a check for the site fee (this park is on the honor system-you take an envelope, fill in your info and enclose cash or check) and walking it over to the lockbox, Rick was crawling around “diagnosing” our slide problem. It ended up being a sheared pin. He even had a few spares and while I held the flashlight, he had us all repaired in about 10 minutes! It’s amazing the things you learn to do, and quickly, when you have to :) I’m just grateful he’s a quick study. We had that happen once before (different slide) and he learned what our RVer neighbors helped him do. I’d have had to call someone out and pay them lots of money to do that :)

I must say I totally understand those who like to stay at least 2 days before traveling again. I’m one of them. I just need some down time to recoup and regroup. I may do nothing but a load of laundry and read blogs, but it’s restful. We’ll be here for 2 days (see, I told you :) ) before leaving for our final destination of Red Bay, AL.

This entire trip was planned to get to Red Bay. Once we take care of business there, we are heading directly south where we will “try” to warm up :)  Red Bay is the home of Tiffin Motorhomes. It is also known as Camp Red Bay by the many customers Tiffin has that bring their coaches to the factory for work. We don’t have any major issues to take care of, but we do have a list of “wants”  we’d like to have done to our coach. We have an appointment with Custom RV (an independent business, not associated with, but specializing in, Tiffin) on Thursday, January 20th, so our plan is to arrive late afternoon on Wednesday.

One of our planned projects is replacing our Norcold refrigerator with a residential refrigerator. I’ll try to get pictures :)

Until then, be safe and thanks for stopping by.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like an exciting trip. I would need a bit of a rest after that.

    Nothing like knowing how to fix something yourself and even having the right part-way to go. I am not sure I would have been able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You get to know inner workings of a lot of things as you have things go wrong. Great that you had extra pins with you.

    I prefer house refrigerators, too, as they are not fussy about being level, cool quicker, etc.
    But many don't, as they boondock.
    Are you going to run it on an inverter while traveling?
    Happy Trails, Penny, TX
    www.pennys-tuppence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fast repair. congrats. I'm glad you're headed south for the winter. Time to get warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penny,
    Yes, we have a 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter that the previous owner installed. It seems a waste not to use it :) I don't see us doing much boon docking. The little we will do can probably be worked around with the generator.
    My biggest issue is temperature control with the Norcold. Half the stuff in the fridge freezes and that is usually my fresh veggies :( I've tried adjusting with the temperature etc but not having much luck. I think I'll like having a residential. Will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your reply.
    Oh, that Norcold sounds like a pain. No wonder you want to get rid of it.

    Have you tried moving the thermostat up or down the coils on the back? Or putting a fridge fan in there?

    I think we would all like to know how a compressor fridge works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Penny,
    I do have a small fridge fan in there and I think it probably helps some. I didn't know moving the thermostat on those coils would do anything. Hmmm! I don't think I'll start experimenting now though...I just might fix it and then I'd feel guilty for spending the money on a new one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about a guilt-free idea?
    If you fix your Norcold, you could probably sell it for what the new fridge costs.
    RV fridges are so expensive, even used, compared to compressor fridges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an idea :)
    Ok, I'll fool around with it some tomorrow and see if I can get it to behave better. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rick being handy sure saved some $$$ on the slide. I'm not that mechanically inclined.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gail and Rick. Thanks for all your support over the previous days and weeks. I am impressed with Rick's ability to diagnose and fix the slide problem so quickly. He even had the needed supplies on hand. That is the sign of a great handyman. My John is one too. (Of course you already know this.) You two take care and stay safe out there on the road.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.