Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Smart Phone?

Ok, I have to admit that I’ve been very intrigued by the I phone and the Droid since, well, since they  came out. Both my girls have I phones, but because the Verizon network works best for us, they were out of the question. They, however, love, love, love their I phones. Now, there are many people who love, love, love their Droids such as Dee and Jim. As a result, I spent this morning doing some research on the various smart phones offered by Verizon. I am not convinced I actually need one, but I sure think I like them :) Later this afternoon, I read that Verizon was kicking off their 4G network on December 5th and that they should have 4G service nationwide by the end of 2013. Decisions, decisions, decisions. The first 4G phone will be out mid 2011. And, rumor has it the first Verizon I phone will be out in January. So do I wait, do I take the plunge now, do I forget all about it? I talked to Rick about it over dinner tonight hoping he would make me lean one way or another. His response? “As long as I can talk on it and text, I’m good. I’d never use that other stuff anyhow”. Well, there you go.

4 comments:

  1. I was listening to a short newspiece on the radio yesterday morning and they mentioned that if all you're going to use your smart phone is to make calls and not surf the web and/or download videos to watch, the speed differential b/w 4G and 3G should not be the deciding factor in buying a phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which is exactly why I think Rick will keep his old Samsung :)
    Me, on the other hand, I'd use all that other stuff-just trying to convince myself that I NEED it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised at how much I use my husband's iPhone aps. I'm hoping the rumor about Verizon offering the iPhone in January is true. My dumb phone is seven years old so it's probably time for me to do something different. I'm watching others struggle with this question in hopes someone will find the right thing for me to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim just got his yesterday and loves it. The reason why now is we can tether for free and go anywhere with the PC with it. Later (Jan maybe) they're going to charge for people that tether, but grandfather those that got the phone now.

    I can take the phone anywhere and do what I do on the PC, so the laptop may be just a secondary backup. GPS is excellent, chatting is a problem yet, but I'm working on it. LOL It's great on the road.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.