Friday, December 3, 2010

A Day in Town

Although we had lived in Durham NC for many years, once we moved into our motorhome, we had to relocate to tiny Moncure NC due to lack of RV parks in the Durham area. Yesterday, I had an appointment for my regular cleaning and exam at my dentist office (Dr. Charles Willis) in Durham. I love this office and the people. Dr. Willis, Tina, Darcy, Terry & Sue have all been so great and caring. I've had a lot of work done there and I can't recommend them highly enough. For the first year of our travels, we are actually planning to return here twice just to see them...and get our teeth cleaned :)

As this was a 40 mile trip one-way for me, I planned to take advantage of the shopping while there. I did just that! I was able to make a big dent in my shopping list and even stopped at CVS for my annual flu shot. I love their Minute Clinic for flu shots. It's usually quick and they take my insurance. Yesterday was no exception. I was in, registered, got the shot and back in my car in 10 minutes. I also asked the nurse practitioner about the availability of the shingles vaccine. The more I read, I think it would be a good idea. She told me that they are no longer giving those shots. She said they lost a lot of money when they were giving them. Apparently, most insurance companies are not paying for them and they were unable to get reimbursed. I think I may have changed my payment policy before deciding to abandon the program all together, but I'm sure they have their reasons. I'm thinking a call to BCBS might be in order. If they cover it, they should have a list of participating providers. If they don't, I may just call my doctor and arrange to get it through them and pay for it myself.

On another note, you might get a chuckle out of Nick Russel's lastest blog titled "You Can't Watch TV in an RV". Rick and I have been watching TV off air, just using our antenna, since moving into our coach. There are several off air stations in this area and well, heck, they're free :) We had decided to reassess the situation once we're mobile and if necessary, go with Dish or Direct TV. After reading Nick's blog, I'm hoping we don't find it necessary :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

3 comments:

  1. I understand how you feel about the dentist. After four years on the road, we still see our long time dentist at least once a year. Anything else,we find someone on the road. Two years ago, I had to find a dentist in CO on an emergency basis for root canal and crown and honestly he did as good and maybe better than out regular dentist.

    We have changed doctors, to FL as they are easier to get to any time of the year, if we really need one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used off air TV for half of our travels the past year. We always had at least 3-4 good channels and then used netflix movies. But now we have Dish. But that was only because we were headed to Big Sur where there would be no off air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you find out about that vaccine Mom? It would be a good idea!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.