Friday, November 12, 2010

Laundry and Dishwashing

As we adjust to living in our home on wheels, I thought I’d share some thoughts on a couple of the items we decided to include in our coach that many people do not. Maybe it’ll help someone else in the decision making process. If not, at least I have a record of what I thought of these items in case I question my decision down the road :)

When we were researching and shopping for our new home on wheels, one of my must haves was a washer and dryer. While some RVers forego a W/D in favor of extra storage space, I chose just the opposite. I am not a laundromat person. I had my fill of them when the kids were little and we were broke and couldn’t afford a washer/dryer. It may have been that particular laundromat that turned me off, I don’t know. What I do know is that it was no fun going with a newborn and a 2 year old and trying to keep the 2 year old off the dirty floor. At the time, I had no choice. I had no family close by to help and my husband (at the time) traveled in his job and was gone a lot. I still remember the day the delivery truck pulled up and delivered a brand new set of Maytags :) I was ecstatic! I also washed everything I could find in that house! That set got a good workout in first weeks. Eventually, the novelty wore off, but I always remained grateful to have my own laundry facilities wherever we lived. I saw no reason to give that up just because our new home would be on wheels.

My preference, going in, was a stackable set. Those that had them seemed to be very happy with them. Although somewhat smaller than a full-size, they seemed to be everyone’s preference. What we ended up with, however, was a vented combo Splendide unit.  IMGP1668 It washes and dries. I had read a lot of negative things about these machines but it came with the coach so thought I’d give it a try. I was very prepared to hate it and also prepared to remove it and replace it with the stacked units. I did read the instruction manual first and found that to be very helpful. It addressed some of the concerns I had read about and by following some of their suggestions, I did not experience most of those problems. It does appear that the vented units perform much better than the non-vented units. The drum is small and the wash loads  are small but I’m very pleased with it. It would not work for a family, but it works great for 2 people. I can understand why some don’t like it. If you’re the type of person that likes to do your laundry once a week, you would hate it. I like to do a load every day so I don’t have to do it once a week :) After all, the hampers in these units are not overly large and I hate having dirty clothes overflowing :) I usually do a load early in the morning, right after getting up. By the time I’m ready to start my day, it’s finished and I can forget about it.

Another item we talked about quite a bit, but wasn’t a necessity, was a dishwasher. When I was a kid I absolutely HATED doing the dishes. Ask my mom :) As time went by, I found I didn’t mind doing them at all but, in recent years, I always had a dishwasher. So, in our search, it was a ‘nice to have’ item but not necessary and certainly not a deal breaker. Our coach came with a Fisher Paykel dish drawer and I absolutely love it!IMGP1666 It uses very little water, very little soap and does a fantastic job at cleaning dishes. The best part, though, is the fact that it’s virtually silent. It can be running while we watch TV right next to it and we don’t even know its on. Like the W/D combo, it’s small and doesn’t hold much but it’s plenty big for us. It uses less water than washing by hand and it’s a handy place to stash the wine bottles while traveling! :) I was always told to look for things that could perform double duty! :)

As I wrote this post this morning, my laundry took care of itself for the day and my dishes washed themselves. I think I’ll go get ready to do a Walmart run.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gail,
    I like your post today. I don't have a washer and dryer in our fifth wheel and I do frequent Laundromats in every town we end up campground hosting in. I have a wonderful relationship with laundry-doing. It stems from my upbringing - Mama washed and rinse by hand and it took her a full day to wash and line dry for a family of five. Exploring laundramats is part of my adventure. I think that laundry is a special thing for women. I've thought about writing a book about it. Take care. Enjoy your W/D and your dishwasher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laundromats give me the willies. I was so much younger when I used them. Things didn't bother me so much way back then. I feel the same as you about the dishwasher. That's not a deal-breaker.

    Syl

    ReplyDelete
  3. We really enjoy your blog! We also love our w/d combo and do small loads almost every day. What brand is your new kitchen faucet? It looks so nice. We need to replace ours and this looks like it would work great in our space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know about you taking us to the laundromat when we were babies ;)
    Glad you like your appliances! I could not give up the w/d either after doing without the first 2 years we were married!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.