Wednesday, November 17, 2010

10 Things I’ve Learned Since Moving Into Our Motorhome

  1. I have learned that anything mounted on the roof that has a motor will sound 10x louder, when running, than the comparable item in a stick and brick house. This results in the usage of many more AA batteries. The TV remote gets used constantly-volume up, volume down depending on whether the A/C or heat pumps are running Smile
  2. I have learned that a 10 gallon hot water heater really is large enough! I couldn’t imagine that one but it’s true. I even gave it the ultimate test this week. I ran a load of laundry, the dishwasher and took a shower all at the same time. I still had hot water when I got out of the shower! I was very impressed…and confused. Why is 10 gallons enough in an RV when 40 gallons in a house is sometimes not enough?
  3. I have learned it is a given that any item I need, that I have stored in the basement, will be in the furthest spot accessible and always under several other things I thought I’d need first…and didn’t.
  4. I have learned I don’t like the RV refrigerators. Although they look nice, they are not deep enough to fit much of anything in them. And we have one of the largest models! I also don’t like the fact that they freeze anything on the top shelf…which happened to be the eggs Sad smile We are planning to replace our unit with a residential model this winter. In the same footprint, we can get almost double the space.
  5. I have learned that I absolutely love my gas cooktop. I’ve always had electric in the past and this gas thing is a real treat for me!
  6. I have learned that I have not missed or needed any of the STUFF it took me 3 years get rid of. If I had known that before I bought any of it, just think of the money I would have saved Smile
  7. I have learned that no matter how much I learn (and there’s something every day) I will probably never learn everything about this coach or this lifestyle.
  8. I have learned that I still have too much kitchen stuff. More purging on the way!
  9. I have learned that I don’t need a big house to live comfortably or be happy.
  10. And last, but not least, I have learned that there are many people out there just like me. People that travel, people that live in their RV, people that write wonderful blogs about their travels and their lives. People I’m getting to know virtually and hopefully, someday in person. Thank you for reading, thank you for commenting, thank you for letting me know you are out there. 

7 comments:

  1. Your "List of 10" nailed it! In June, since we both finally retired, we started living fulltime in our motorhome. We had been weekenders since '89. Have always loved the lifestyle. Just started reading your blog a week ago and enjoy it. Be safe in your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all 10 items! I agree with the RV refrig, we've also debated about changing it to a residential. I hate that top shelf, but I did take out a couple shelves so I can STAND up cans of stuff. Good blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good write up...I've not only frozen eggs but my salad fixings as well (and thus they spoiled much earlier).

    I now keep yogurt, butter, apple butter and leftovers on the top shelf. They seem to fare well...

    We'll never go to a residential frig. That would require us to have power every night. We do a lot of "wally-docking" as well as real boondocking. Can't give that up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your list!! Since packing up most of our house to storage, the only things I'm "missing" are books for school that I thought I wouldn't need (not too many though)and being able to stare at all my yarn and fabric that I don't have time to use :)
    The kids haven't missed too much either....tho I haven't pointed that out yet....haha! I now know what they REALLY consider important of their possessions...very instructive!
    Love you so much and so inspired by you on this journey.
    Also love to be able to read what you're up to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your list. I especially resonate with two things. The fridge is not deep enough. I can't store a pizza in there! And I have learned that I can be quite happy in a small space. I have everything I need and want. I guess I could even live in Japan now! This knowledge will come in quite handy as John and I move forward with our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like having my frig be not so deep. Nothing hides in the back becoming a science experiment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will be following along as you prepare to full-time ... we still have a few more years to go before we can join the full time roamers.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.