Wednesday, October 27, 2010

How to lock yourself out of your coach in one second and not even know it

Today started out so nice. It was hot and sticky but the weather radio only woke us up once last night :) I was up before 6:00-it's hard to sleep in when you have a hubby still working-and had a leisurely breakfast with my coffee. I organized some more cabinets, made the bed, space bagged some extra pillows, cleaned up, got dressed and generally had a nice morning of me time. After collecting all the trash, I tied the garbage bag, grabbed my keys and headed for the dumpsters. On my way out I hit the 1/2 key on the keyless entry pad on the coach. That automatically locks the coach door and all the "basement" doors.

It's a short walk to the dumpster on the other side of the park. On the way, I met one of our neighbors and her 3 little dogs. We stopped and talked for awhile, then I headed back. I got all the way to the door, with keys in hand, before I realized what I had done. I had taken "my" key ring. On it is my car key, apartment key and mailbox key. That's it. The "other" key ring, the one with ALL the coach keys on it, was sitting in a cup holder right inside the front door.  Ok, what do I do now? Sure, I knew how to lock it up with the keyless entry but do you think I've taken the time to program a code into it so I could unlock it??? Noooo! So what does any level headed person do when faced with a situation such as this? I called my husband at work and said "I locked myself out and I'm not sure what to do about it"!!! I realized the minute it came out of my mouth that I did have options-as I was staring at an open window :) If I had just kept it to myself a little while, no one would have known how stupid I was! After convincing him that he did not have to race 40 miles to come home to save me, at least not yet, I stood under that window trying to figure out how in the heck I was going to get up high enough to even try to fit through it. The most obvious solution would have been the ladder. The ladder that was in the basement storage that was also locked up. The Rubbermaid tub that we store charcoal and barbecue tools in was the only thing out there that would get me off the ground. I emptied it, turned it upside down hoping that it would be sturdier that way and climbed on hoping I wouldn't break my neck...again. Well, I didn't break my neck but I also still  couldn't reach the window. Next I tried a neighbor hoping they had a ladder. Nobody home. Well, I did have my car keys. No purse, no money but if it rained or got any hotter, I could always go to the apartment :) That's when it dawned on me that if I could get the car close enough to the coach, I could climb on it to get to the window. I very carefully maneuvered the car under the window. The last thing I needed was to hit it. I would have just had to keep going :) No way I could have stayed home then. That gave me the height I needed. I climbed up on the trunk and could get my head and shoulders through the window. There was no room for anything else so I grabbed hold of the sofa that was underneath the window (how lucky was that?) and slithered in . The last time I had to do that I was about 11 years old and got locked out of the house while babysitting my twin cousins. I think I was a bit more agile back then :) Needless to say, I found some time to program in a code this afternoon. That's not an episode I'd like to repeat!

We have severe weather and tornado warnings all over the area this evening. Between the TV reports and the weather radio, I doubt we'll miss the warning if anything comes close.

2 comments:

  1. That is so funny! I could just picture the whole "lock out" episode as your thought processes went on. Good ending! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure glad you didn't break your neck! Funny :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.