Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Saga continues...

The last couple days have been mostly a blur.

Tuesday was great day with much less pain. I talked to the kids for the first time; also Mom and Sheila.

Wednesday was a challenge. It was a bad day with high pain. I couldn't take my pain meds w/o itching like crazy. I tried to go off of them but cried uncle about 3 am. They tried a different drug, Norco, with success. I had taken Benadryl earlier to just zonk but that only lasted for an hour. I finally slept from 3:00 to 6:00 am...it was heaven.

Thursday I was informed that I'd be discharged on Friday. Duke has accepted me for the second surgery and follow up rehab but that can't take place for another week so I must go home first. I'm occupying a bed that someone else may need. This was very scarey. Rick gave me a shampoo and took me outside in the wheel chair. That was wonderful. I pooped out quickly but it was nice to escape the walls of that tiny little hospital room. My Foley catheter was removed at 11:40 pm and they gave me till 6:00 to pee :) I successfully accomplished that task by 4:00 on my first try! It doesn't take much to entertain me these days :)

OT/PT arrived about 8:30 am to give me more instruction and gizmos. I got a hand extender thingy, a leg lifter and a sliding board. I practiced getting into car with the sliding board downstairs in PT. They have a car simulator down there. Now I know it'll work. It took all day to get out of here. We finally left about 3ish. I was uncomfortable due to space constraints but made it. We stopped at the pharmacy for meds but realized that we didn't have my insurance card with us, only Ricks, so went home and unloaded me first. It took awhile to get out of the car until we realized we could raise the carseat to make it more level with the chair. Big difference. I got setup in bed and Rick went back to the pharmacy to get all the prescriptions filled. Later Nic came by with dinner (fish tacos and burittos-yum!) and we had a nice visit and she could see that I was going to be ok. The night was uneventful and we both slept fairly well, but it took us until almost midnight to get everything done.

Our house sale closed Friday afternoon at 1:30 pm as scheduled. At least something went as planned this week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.