Thursday, April 15, 2010

Preparing for a long weekend on the coast

I had much to accomplish today. We are leaving at 5:00 AM tomorrow for Ocracoke Island on the Outer Banks with friends Mike & Kathy so I wanted to do as much as I could before leaving.
First on the agenda was the recycling center. Our bins were overflowing to the point where we had a few extra tubs pretending to be recycling bins :) I filled up the car, literally, and headed for the recycling center. Once that was accomplished I stopped at Bill's Appliance Center to see if he would be interested in a very old washer and dryer and if he would pick up. He gave me a yes to both questions and we set up a 12:30 time for pickup.

I still had a couple hours, so I headed home and refilled the car with all the Goodwill items I still needed to donate. Before leaving for Goodwill, I listed our last item to get rid of on Craigslist. We have an overstuffed floral chair that just wasn't moving at any price, so I listed it for free then headed to Goodwill. Our donation center is on Roxboro Rd and shortly after I turned onto Roxboro, I saw a homeless man on a corner. There was a red light so I was able to see him and his sign clearly. It read "Homeless. Too ugly to prostitute, too stupid to steal". I didn't know if I should laugh or just what I was supposed to feel. I definitely didn't feel sorry for him, but I probably should have. Maybe he was just trying to add some levity to his poor life.

After making my donation and getting a receipt, I stopped at Subway and picked up a tuna sub to go for lunch. I haven't had one in awhile and always really liked them. They seem to have shrunk. They used to be bigger and meatier. Maybe it's just this location; I hadn't tried it before. More likely it's a trend that is hitting many restaurants. It's a way of keeping prices down.

My sandwich and I headed home to check emails on the chair. In the hour I was gone, I had 15 people want that chair for free. Go figure. The winner was a dad who wanted it for his little girls room so he could read her stories at night. I thought that was very sweet and he also was willing to come get it then and there during his lunch hour. It was a twofer for me. I called him and headed right over. Within 30 minutes he had a chair and I was finally rid of that thing :) Before he could leave, the guys from Bill's came to pick up the washer and dryer. The house is now officially empty!

I finished my lunch, threw a few loose items in the car and took off for the apartment. I probably wouldn't have even gone over there today except that I wanted to grab a sweatshirt for the weekend. The forecast has changed a bit and it's going to be chilly in the mornings and evenings most days.

One more stop at Costco on the way home to stock up on beverages and breakfast stuff for the weekend and I was done for the day.

This evening we are going out for a bite to eat-probably Chinese because it's close by and good. Then a little TV and an early night. We'll load the car in the morning -4:00 AM comes very early :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.